FILLING / TOPPING
- 250 ml / 1 cup vegan whipping cream we used Elmlea plant
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 – 2 tbsp icing sugar to taste
- 6 tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- 400 g fresh strawberries halved or quartered
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C / 160 fan. Line the bottom of two non-stick 20 cm cake pans with parchment paper. Grease the parchment and sides of the tins with vegan butter.
- Combine the oat milk and apple cider vinegar in a glass jug and microwave for 30 seconds until just warm. This will create a kind of vegan buttermilk.
- Sift the self raising flour into a mixing bowl and add the baking soda and salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the soft butter and sugar to a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Option to use an electric hand whisk if you prefer.
- Once whipped, fold in about 1/3 of the oat milk mixture and 1/3 of the flour mix. Use a spatula to combine. Repeat twice more until both the mixes are used up. Fold through the vanilla extract. NOTE: doing it in stages will prevent the batter clumping. Do not over mix as this will make the sponge denser.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Allow the cakes to cool down in the tins for 15 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool.
FILLING / TOPPING
- Using a stand mixer or electric whisk, whip chilled vegan whipping cream until thick.
- When the cakes are cooled, spread the jam onto the top of one, a few quartered strawberries if you wish, and top with half of the cream. Place the second sponge on top and the rest of the cream.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries and optional sprinkling of icing sugar and / or lemon zest.
If you purchase something through a link on our site, Plant Based News (PBN) may earn a commission, which helps us to provide our free services to millions of people each week. All linked products are vegan, and are curated by the PBN team.